Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 (3 lbs) beef brisket (trimmed of any excess fat)
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 garlic (chopped) or 1 tbsp. bottle chopped garlic
- 3 carrots (sliced) or bag of mini carrots whole
- small red or white potatoes whole
- 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- 4 tbsp bbq sauce
- 4 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp lite soy sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pat brisket dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven or braising pot. Sear the brisket until it is browned (4 to 5 mins per side). Then transfer brisket to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and cook the onions, stirring a few times, until softened (3 to 5 mins).
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Return meat to the pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and all other ingredients. Bring mixture to a low boil then turn down heat to low.
- Spoon liquid mixture over the brisket (if needed) and cover tightly.
- Some people like to transfer brisket to an oven at 300 degrees, but for this recipe i prefer to cook it on the stove top until done.
- Cook brisket until it is fork tender (2½ to 3 hrs). It is like a tasty pot roast when made this way.
- Remove brisket from oven or pot and transfer meat to a cutting board. Let rest for 10 to 20 mins.. before slicing.